In this lesson I will be showing some examples of the 16 Beat Single Stroke Tom Groove with some left foot counting added. Both the groove concept and the idea of counting with the left foot aren't new ideas so the aim of this lesson is just to get you used to combining the two. It is important that you are familiar with the grooves shown in the lesson linked above, there will be some Half Time versions of the pattern used on this page too.
In the groove examples shown below I have shown various different ideas for counts that can be used with the left feet. There will be straight crotchets, straight quavers, back beat count and off beat eighths and two groove examples will be provided for each. This is obviously not an exhaustive list so for each given foot pattern experiment with different kick placements and hand orchestrations.
- Learn the grooves above up to a tempo of at least 140bpm.
- Create some 4 bar phrases using these grooves.
- Experiment with different kick patterns.
- Experiment with adding offbeat snares or kicks.
- Use different combinations for the hands.