A simple groove made of quarer and eighth notes presented using the rhythm first method.
On this page is a simple groove. The lesson is presented in a step by step format based on the Rhythm First reading method. If you prefer the Left To Right method feel free to skip later into the lesson for the complete groove.
Check Your Counting:
Add Quarter Note Hi Hats
Add Eighth Note Hi Hats
- Learn this groove up to a tempo of at least 100bpm.
- Play 4 bars with quarter note hi hats followed by 4 bars with eighth note hi hats, repeat this pattern 4 times.
A list of other lessons you may find useful before studying this area.
- Notation basics – Including basic note values, parts of the kit and repeat marks.
- Rhythm basics – Including quarter and eighth notes.
- The 2 minute rule – This is a practice technique that I strongly recommend using.
- Counting – Counting is given in all exercises but you will need to know what it means.