A full bar linear groove in 4/4 using the 'R L L F' sticking.
The grooves in this lesson will all be full bar Linear Patterns using the 'R L L F' pattern. You will be presented with common time and half time versions of this groove both in 4/4. Make sure you have covered the linked lesson on the basic R L L F pattern and can play it at a decent tempo, 130 and above would be ideal.
The groove will be built from the accented version of the exercise, so there will be plenty of Ghost Notes but you will be moving the first stroke of each grouping to an alternate part of the kit in most cases. Hi hats have been used in a lot of examples on this page but you could move this to any part of the kit you like. Short, sharp sounds are best to prevent the subtle ghost notes being lost.
Common Time Version
Half Time Version
- Using the 2 minute rule, get the grooves up to a tempo of at least 130bpm.
Ideas For Variation
Listed below are some simple ideas to experiment with to create further versions of this groove.
- Add additonaly bass drums. Doing this will mean the groove is no longer 'linear' but still creates some cool sounding parts.
- Switch around where the hi hats and snares fall.
- Open some hi hats.
- Add in ride bells.
- Alter which beat of the bar you start the pattern on.
- Use this groove for half a bar, fill the other half with another groove idea.
A Short Piece
Below you will find a short piece using the grooves listed above. Some fills using the 'R L L F' pattern have also been used.