Taking the orchestration idea of playing the first note on a different drum to the rest and building fills from it in 6/8.
In this single stroke four fill lesson you will be using the rudiment in the time signature of 6/8 and using a simple orchestration that involves planting all notes on the snare except the first in each group which will be orchestrated. As we are applying the rudiment in an unusual time signature, the part will have a syncopated feel. At the bottom of the page you will find links to other lessons that may be useful in the learning process.
The aim of this lesson is to show you how easy it is to take simple rudiment orchestrations and create a wide variety of fills from the part. I will only be providing a few example on this page but you should use that as inspiration to create your own fills using the ideas presented.
- Learn all phrases above to a tempo of 130bpm.
- Use different grooves in each example.
- Use the given example as ideas for creating your own 6/8 fills.
- Experiment with the length of the fill.
- Try applying the concept to different time signatures.