A single stroke roll orchestration where two previous orchestration ideas are combined.
In this orchestration lesson you will be combining the accent placement ideas from our crotchet cymbals and quaver cymbals lessons for this rudiment, both of which are linked at the bottom of this page. That means in these exercises you will see a combination of cymbals placed on numbered and '+' counts to create various rhythmic patterns. These orchestrations will start sound a lot more interesting as there are both melodic and rhythmic elements to the construction which makes them very good concepts for fill construction.
As always, feet have been included in all exercises but experiment with different patterns to those shown If you are finding an exercise difficult it would be worth removing the feet until you are comfortable with the hands.
Use the 2 minute rule to aim for the following target tempos. This list covers from a beginner to an experienced player so potentially represents several years worth of practice.
- Level 0: 60bpm
- Level 1: 90bpm
- Level 2: 120bpm
- Level 3: 140bpm
- Level 4: 160bpm & Demi Semi Quavers at 80bpm
- Level 5: 180bpm & Demi Semi Quavers at 90bpm
- Level 5+: 200+bpm & Demi Semi Quavers at 100+bpm
- Create your own orchestrations using this concept.
- Use as many different feet patterns as you can think of with each exercise.
- Apply the orchestration concept to the rudiment in various other time signatures and note values.
- Apply the concept as a fill in your general playing.