Split single stroke triplets up between the hands and feet then mix up different groups of note values.
In this lesson we will be extending our previous Co Ordination Exercise to include eighth note triplets. The exercises are exactly the same, just put in to a triplet timing. Notice that the first group of three starts with a hand and the second with a foot.
Right Hand – Right Foot.
Left Hand – Right Foot.
Right Hand – Left Foot.
Left Hand – Left Foot.
- Learn all exercises at a tempo of at least 120bpm.
- Combine all four exercises to create a four bar long pattern.
- Experiment with different orchestrations.
Combining Note Values Exercise
It can be useful when working on building up speed in this exercise to switch from playing a bar of eighth notes to playing a bar of eighth note triplets. That would look like this:
Hands and right foot
Hands and left foot
- Learn exercises 5 and 6 at a tempo of at least 130bpm.
- Experiment with reversing the pattern, so starting each exercise on a foot rather than a hand.