An orchestration of the single stroke nine that changes voicing on every numbered count.
This lessons follows on from our Single Stroke Nine With Each Hand On A Different Drum orchestration lesson and will be quite similar to This Lesson applying the same orchestration concept to the single stroke roll. It will be much easier to follow if you are familiar with the content from these lessons.
In this simple orchestration concept you will be moving around the kit, changing voice on any numbered count. Remember, you hands will always be playing a single stroke nine in all exercises on this page. I have included feet in all exercises, it may be worth removing them whilst you are learning the orchestration then adding them back in later. Experiment with using different feet patterns from our previous lessons. It is also work trying these orchestration ideas with all sticking and rhythmic variations of the rudiment.
Use the 2 minute rule to aim for the following target tempos. This list covers from a beginner to a veteran player so potentially represents several years worth of practice. The note values referenced in this list refer to the quicker note of the rudiment.
- Level 0: Crotchets and Quavers at 120bpm
- Level 1: Quavers and Semi Quavers at 100bpm
- Level 2: Semi Quavers at 120bpm
- Level 3: Semi Quavers at 140bpm
- Level 4: Semi Quavers at 160bpm & Demi Semi Quavers at 80bpm
- Level 5: Semi Quavers at 180bpm & Demi Semi Quavers at 90bpm
- Level 5+: Semi Quavers at 200+bpm & Demi Semi Quavers at 100+bpm
I recomend covering our lesson on The Single Stroke 9 With Crotchet Accents next.