Doubling the tempo of a level 2 lesson to creating some fast and rhythmically interesting patterns.
In this lesson you will be learning another sub-divided syncopated 16th grouping, again using the sixteenth note '33334' rhythm as a basis. Many similar patterns have been covered in different forms and links to these have been included at the bottom of the page. For all fills on this page the last note of each block in the syncopated rhythm will be split into two 32nd with a single stroke being maintained through the full bar.
We'll start with the syncopated rhythm just played on the snare. On the left this is shown with no subdivision then on the right the 32nds are added in.
The remainder of this page will be common orchestrations of this rhythm so before progressing make sure you can play the part shown above comfortably. In each example fill the rhythm is moved around the snare in toms in various movements. For the last block of four various different 32nd decorations have been included.
- Learn all examples up to a tempo of at least 130bpm.
- Use different kick and snare combinations in each example.
- Add each example into one of the structures we have covered previously.
- Create fills using simple orchestrations around the kit.
- Combine the ideas given in this lesson to create further fills.